Thursday, March 19, 2009

Refrigerator Rolls- from Tami

I've been meaning to post this for a while (sorry Tami). Things have just been a bit crazy and I've not been the best at keeping up with my planned posts here.

This is a great recipe that my Grandma actually used to make for us. It's a great way to make a simple dinner seem fantastic. Especially if you have some really good gravy to soak up with your roll. Here's the rundown...

First we disolved 1 tablespoon of yeast in 2 tablespoons of warm water (top left in pic)

Then we have:
Yeast mixture
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour (to begin with- 3 more for later)


After mixing the first ingredients add:
3 remaining cups of flour
3/4 cups melted butter.
I like to alternate the butter and the flour a little at a time so you don't get a big ::POOF!:: when you turn on the mixer.
You can use more or less flour to get the right consistency- so it's pulling from the sides of the mixer as shown here.

Last- cover and let it rise in the refrigerator overnight. I didn't make it to that point though- if you do, back at 350 for 15-20 minutes. This can be used for all kinds of different rolls- crescent, orange, dinner, the favorite Cinnamon Roll- you can get really creative here. If I remember right, I think my grandma used to make crescent rolls and freeze them before she baked them. She put them in little plasic bags so we could just pull out a few at a time , let them raise and bake them up for hot fresh rolls whenever we wanted them. They were fantastic.
I only let it raise a few hours this time then used it in my dinner recipe: Chicken Crescent rolls, Coming SOON!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teryn! I laughed when I opened your blog post right now because I just finished brushing the flour off my hands so I could sit down and blog for a few minutes while my rolls are rising! (Great minds!!) You are right...these rolls make a simple dinner fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete